[SunRescue] Help with Hardware question SS1000E mainboard

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 20 13:40:36 CST 2001

Les asked:
> I have a dual processor board with 128MB on it from slot 0 of a
> busted SS1000E.
> I have a potential buyer who wants to run it in an SS1000.
> I am aware that, typically, SS1000 boards don't move up in the the E
> model, but have never spoken to anyone who has tried to take
> the later model boards and move them "down" to the 1000 model.
> Have looked at my FHE and can't determine what would/wouldn't
> be compatible.

I do know that I've seen Ultra x500 boards in an x000 system and
vice-versa w/ the only noticable side affect is what prtdiag produces.
The fact some of the systems had CPUs w/ varying cache sizes is another
matter. (Acutally, that works, and it dumbs-down to the lowest cache
size, but it's still a stupid config.) At least in the Ultra world, the
higher-end boards know to 'dumb-down' for the slower backplane
frequency. I don't know if that intelligence was installed in the
sun4d-series systems.

Try it and see? The worst that could happen is that it would blow up
and smoke, frying all the RAM and both CPUs. :)

-Jon