[SunRescue] Recommend starter Sun?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 19 16:02:13 CST 2001

bobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu writes:

>> I'd recommend it too - if I could ever get it to load.  2.8 does not seem to
>> want to boot on my Sparcs - floppy or CD.  I can't try out all the security
>> "stuff" I've heard so much about. :-(

>Gee, your experiences seem just opposite mine.  I have serveral SS1,SS2,
>IPX boxes, and they always reliably load OpenBSD.  I have had most of
>my problems on NetBSD, except for the recent 1.5 mini-cd image.
>That is the first one that boots and loads fine, in my hands.
>It even came up well on my 4/300, after using the IPX to load it.
>OpenBSD, has always been, for me... insert floppy, boot, and 30
>minutes later it is loaded, from cd or ftp.

I had problems installing OpenBSD from CD to an SS2, probably the
512/2048 byte block thing, I don't know. Since then I've installed to a
4/380, buncha SS2s, and a SS5 via netboot/ftp with no problems.

>Speaking of sun4 sparcs..... I went rummaging through my dumpster
>dive closet, and drug out a sun 4 sparc 4/150, with TAAC-16 card.
>Is there anything current that can do anything with that card, or
>is it mosty useless?  The 4/150 cpu card had some kind of piggyback
>processor board on it, in the sparc chip socket, on long wire standoffs.
>I forgot to write the number down, of the thing, but anyone know what
>that chip assembly might be?  It is about 3x the surface area of the
>cpu chip, and and not something I had seen before on previous VME boards.

The TAAC card is on the very top of my sun hunt&aquire list, so if you
decide not to keep it, I'd love to buy it off you.

--- david fischer --- dave at cca.org --- www.cca.org -----------------------
----------------------- I took one sample and interpolated from there. ---