[SunRescue] Re: Recommend starter Sun?

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 19 15:20:15 CST 2001

> Was that the GDM-20E21? (or likewise GDM-17E21)
> Seems very strange to me anyway. Could it be SGI's somehow braindead
> ID-pins on the 13W3-connector?
> I know I had lots and lots of trouble getting certain 13W3 cables to
> behave as I wanted to.
>
> To me 20D10 is Sun-only and 20D11 is SGI-only, non pc-capable, while the
> 20E20 (Sun) and 20E21 (SGI) is PC-capable. There is some explainable
> pattern here that would make a logical explanation, but since you claim
> you couldn't run a -21 monitor on Sun... well.

Yea you would think the -21 would work on anything like the Sun 20E20. I
have used a 13W3/HD15 adapter to run PeeCee's, HP workstations and all other
manner of machines on the Sun tube. Never had a machine that didn't work
with it. So, I figgured the SGI -21 was the same deal. <buzzer sound> Wrong!
I could get the SGI to work with anything with an HD 15 plug fine. But could
not get it to wok with a Sun no matter what I tried. I even got a 13W3 to HD
15 adaptor to connect to the 15 pin input on the SGI. No dice. Now there is
a hack to get the SGI 20D11 to work with Sun. It invovles installation of a
10K ohm resistor into the PCB that holds the 13W3 socket by all accounts it
works fine. SO I am thinking that maybe the SGI 21 is brain dead in the same
respect.

Sigh!

Mike N