[SunRescue] Recommend starter Sun?

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 19 09:50:54 CST 2001

>>Possibly floppy problems?  Sun floppies are persnickety, at best, and
>>usually need several passes with a cleaning floppy before they work
>>well, in my hands.  Also check the drive actuator lead screw for dust
>>accumulation.  I have had several stop there in head seeks.

Floppy doesn't seem to be the issue.  I'm booting from the CD but I get the
same results when I boot from a floppy.

>>Headless, probably choose vt* or dumb (vt100 is best).
>>I had problems on my VAX last night using VT320 emulation with
>>smooth scroll.  I had to drop back to VT100 with jumpy scroll
>>to get everything to work well.

Unfortunately I never seem to get to that point. All it shows is the first
two letters of the word "error" form the beginning of the install script.
No matter what I type after that point nothing happens.

>>Hmm, I have never installed headless, on later sparc boxes, only
>>on VME crates.  If it is a terminal emuation, make sure it is
>>as close to vt100/102 as you can get.

I've tried vt100/102, ANSI BBS, vt320-7, so far.  I'll try a different comm
program.  Maybe that might help.

>>That is all I can think of, offhand.

Thanks for the help Bob, I appreciate it.

Mike Hebel