[SunRescue] Recommend starter Sun?

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 19 09:17:00 CST 2001

> >>I would recommend OpenBSD.
>
> I'd recommend it too - if I could ever get it to load.  2.8 does not seem to
> want to boot on my Sparcs - floppy or CD.  I can't try out all the security
> "stuff" I've heard so much about. :-(

Gee, your experiences seem just opposite mine.  I have serveral SS1,SS2,
IPX boxes, and they always reliably load OpenBSD.  I have had most of
my problems on NetBSD, except for the recent 1.5 mini-cd image.
That is the first one that boots and loads fine, in my hands.
It even came up well on my 4/300, after using the IPX to load it.
OpenBSD, has always been, for me... insert floppy, boot, and 30
minutes later it is loaded, from cd or ftp.

Where exactly were you having problems?

> Remember when all else fails the proper
> version of Solaris will load 99% of the time for the hardware it supports.

Yeah, ain't that always the way it goes....(:+}}... although in my hands
OpenBSD has been the same way.... insert floppo, boot, lock and load!

I am curious as to what your problems were with it not booting.
I have run, over the past several years, OpenBSD 2.5/6/7/8, all
quite reliably on Sparc hardware after sun4 sparc.  Sun4 sparcs
have been hit and miss on both OpenBSD and NetBSD.

Speaking of sun4 sparcs..... I went rummaging through my dumpster
dive closet, and drug out a sun 4 sparc 4/150, with TAAC-16 card.
Is there anything current that can do anything with that card, or
is it mosty useless?  The 4/150 cpu card had some kind of piggyback
processor board on it, in the sparc chip socket, on long wire standoffs.
I forgot to write the number down, of the thing, but anyone know what
that chip assembly might be?  It is about 3x the surface area of the
cpu chip, and and not something I had seen before on previous VME boards.

Bob