[SunRescue] Recommend starter Sun?

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 16 22:59:50 CST 2001

>>Where in the install process did you start to have problems?

When it starts to execute the kernel itself.  It does some hardware probing
and then gives me errors about the clock being off by foo then it stops with
a line saying just "er".  I'll use the IPC as an example:

fdc0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000 pri 11, softpri 4: chip 82072
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
rd0: fixed, 4352 blocks
rootdev=0x1100 rrootdev=0x6a00 rawdev=0x6a02
WARNING: clock lost 11257 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
er

I tried to get it to boot off of an IPC and an IPX with the same results.  I
haven't tried the LX yet, I suppose I could plug that in but I don't want to
risk all the setup I've done on my MP3 player for my car.  Though there is
something to be said for trying to boot it on sun4m vs. sun4c.  I've removed
all but the "essential" component and still no difference.

The CDs are "official" ones purchased off the OpenBSD.org site so I'm pretty
sure I can rule out bad CDs.  The CD-Rom in question has loaded several
other OS's on Sparc just fine so unless OpenBSD has some issue with Toshiba
drives I think I can rule that out too.  The OBP is fairly up to date so
that's not the issue.  I've followed the 2.8 install directions to the
letter.  No joy.

I think I'm missing something simple but I can't think of what. Maybe I will
plug the LX in today and see if that one boots fine.

I'm kinda embarrassed that I can't get this to boot.  It makes me look like
the Sparc newbie I am. *grin*

Mike Hebel