[SunRescue] WTB RS/6000

Geoffrey T. Cheshire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 15 00:00:53 CST 2001

I have a certain nostalgia for RS/6000 and AIX boxen because they were where
I was first really introduced to the 'net and the Unix shell.  In my
undergrad days we were offered shell accounts for email at the U of Arizona
(sorry Stanford & Cal basketball fans!) on a cluster of RS/6000's.

Later, my first taste of the web was through a program called SLIrP which
let you run a slip (and later PPP) session over a shell account.  I used
Windows 3.1, Trumpet Winsock (MS had no IP stack) and Mosaic.  Most
resources were still gopher.  Are there still gopher sites?

Anyways, I always wanted an RS/6000 because at the time they were the most
sophisticated computers I'd used.

I tried to Google for what the *first* computers I used at the U of A were.
I remember wandering in as a kid, sitting down like I knew what I was doing,
and playing with some heavy-looking CRT terminal of some sort.  Big thick
heavy black keys.  Connected to a VAX?  I remember someone telling me you
could play games if you could figure out how to use the thing.

Much later came the Apple ][ with 128k of expanded memory, a 300 baud Hayes,
green CRT, CP/M card for breaking copy protection, etc.  Made my first
connections to ARPANET... Enough about that!

Thanks for the excuse to reminisce; did I sufficiently place myself in an
age category?

Geoff
- - -
Geoffrey T. Cheshire <gtc (at) cheshirelaw (dot) com>
PGP IDs: 0xA898DA75, 0x7B9C0691 (office), 0x43713B0D (RSA)