[SunRescue] Re: need some faster SBUS CPUs in Europe

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 14 15:20:40 CST 2001

On 14 Mar 2001 12:29:12 -0800, Robert Novak wrote:
> I thought I heard a "Gregory Leblanc" say:
> >
> > Does anybody have some fast SBUS CPUs for sale/trade/partial trade in
> > Europe?
>
> Would I get yelled at for mentioning that you're probably going to get
> nothing higher than an AMD K5-133 for an sbus card? :-) You're looking for
> MBus, but we all know what you meant :)

D'oh!  At least you knew what I was talking about.  I'm really not doing
too well this week, it must be a couple of days of getting up at 6:30,
and going to bed at 5:30 (both am).

> > A pal of mine is running a 4x690MP with dual SM41s right now,
> > and we just loaded that machine up (it's hosting ftp.gnome.org, and
> > pumping out about 8MB/sec of traffic).  This pretty much saturates those
> > two SM41s, so they'd love to get a pair of SM81s, or something along
> > those lines.  Anybody have a line on these?  Thanks,
>
> I may have SM81s to spare sometime soon... haven't plugged this SS1000 in
> yet to test it. However, I'm baffled by the cpu being your issue. 8MB/sec
> is what, 67mbps? Pretty close to the capacity of a be card, and, well, at
> least 67% of optimal capacity on a 100mbps connection anyway. Unless your
> ftp stuff is doing compression you might do well to upgrade the network
> card to hme or add another one.

Well, the card is capable of pushing approximately 10MB/sec, but not in
the current machine, because of limited CPU power.  The problem here is
that there isn't enough CPU left to do monitoring when this machine is
pushing 8MB/sec.  There are also a few other services that run from this
machine, so it would be nice to have a bit more processing power
available.  I'd offer them some of my CPUs, but all I've got is a pair
of SM41s myself, plus this SM81 that's already in use.  :-)

> Or is there something I'm missing?

No, probably not.

    Greg