[SunRescue] Re: need some faster SBUS CPUs in Europe

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 14 14:29:12 CST 2001

I thought I heard a "Gregory Leblanc" say:

> Does anybody have some fast SBUS CPUs for sale/trade/partial trade in
> Europe?

Would I get yelled at for mentioning that you're probably going to get
nothing higher than an AMD K5-133 for an sbus card? :-) You're looking for
MBus, but we all know what you meant :)

> A pal of mine is running a 4x690MP with dual SM41s right now,
> and we just loaded that machine up (it's hosting ftp.gnome.org, and
> pumping out about 8MB/sec of traffic).  This pretty much saturates those
> two SM41s, so they'd love to get a pair of SM81s, or something along
> those lines.  Anybody have a line on these?  Thanks,

I may have SM81s to spare sometime soon... haven't plugged this SS1000 in
yet to test it. However, I'm baffled by the cpu being your issue. 8MB/sec
is what, 67mbps? Pretty close to the capacity of a be card, and, well, at
least 67% of optimal capacity on a 100mbps connection anyway. Unless your
ftp stuff is doing compression you might do well to upgrade the network
card to hme or add another one.

Or is there something I'm missing?

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows