[SunRescue] Possibly dead Sun SCA hard disks?

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 14 14:43:30 CST 2001

All--
I currently have two different flavors of SCA FW-SCSI
disks that are not recognized in any of our Sun gear
here.  In each case I've got several, which were eBay
specials but from people who I've generally gotten
good results from.  I knew that I was taking a chance
with the drives (in each case there was a note about
possible compatibility problems), but I've gotten nowhere.

Flavor 1:  Seagate ST21300WC - These 3 disks should
	be 1.2GB disks, but none of our Sun boxes [1]
	wants to recognize them.  May need a
	special SCSI bus reset command according
	to one reference--anyone have any info?

Flavor 2:  Quantum Viking "VK45J051" (A/K/A "SCSI 4200")
	--Not recognized by Solaris "format", and none
	of the Quantum or Sun alternate diskinfo seems
	to work with it.

Any magical incantations that I can try from the command
line or the OpenBoot prompt to make things happy?

Thanks in advance--

	--Rip

[1]  Test boxes - Ultra 2, E3000, SPARC 20 using internal,
	plus tried using a 80 to 50 pin converter and an
	external case on a SPARC 10.  No joy with any of those.