[SunRescue] need some faster SBUS CPUs in Europe

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 14 11:28:21 CST 2001

E.L.I. is selling "new" SM81s for $350/each, so market should be about $175 for one, but that seems high based on latest pricing WRT Sun Blade 100.

I was able to score 2x SM71s (from Europe, go figure!) for $100/each ($200 for both) for my SS/20 in a private sale (via Usenet).

Have you tried Usenet (comp.sys.sun.*) yet? Ebay? You may be able to snag an SS/20 with one or two "higher-speed" CPUs already installed - SS/20s should be going pretty cheap nowadays... (There wan an SS/1000 on Ebay at $300 last I saw, w/ 4x CPUs (?) and 128 Meg RAM...)

If you hope to tempt someone into parting with their 2x SM81s you need to give an indication of what you can offer in return, IMHO.

Note: I do not have any CPUs to swap/sell/whatever, I plan on keeping my 2x SM71s for the forseeable future... (initially by choice, then probably by necessity, as s the market will drive the price so low I would rather not bother to sell them. Like the LX I have in my basement - it probably has a real value of something just north of nil, just south of $25 - it is worth more to me as a Solaris 8 compatible beater box than that...)

Ken