[SunRescue] Working in Ireland and the U.K. (us immigrant with Irish citizenship)

Christopher Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 14 00:58:37 CST 2001

All,

Due to the wonderful policies of the Department of Defense, I have lost my
big defense contract, and find myself again looking for work. Thankfully the
sector I work in (security) is still very hot, so theres no shortage of job
opportunities, but I have a chance to do seomthign interesting.

My father was born and raised in Ireland, and after I was born he registered
me as an Irish citizen. Ireland allows dual citizenship with the U.S.,
though the U.S. state department doesnt recognize it, and I have an irish
passport in addition to my american passport.

In addition to allowing me to fly to Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Mainland CHina and
other hostile nations (one of the reasons I lost my defense contract) it
allows me to work without difficulty in Ireland, the UK, and most european
countries.

Earlier today a recruiter specializing in getting U.S. techs to go to
Ireland and the UK borught up some VERY interesting ppositions and
opportunities.

One company in Ireland for example is offering the equivalent of 120k US +
35k sign on bonus, + full relocation + housing allowance and car allowance,
and they'll even help you buy a house.

This looks like a very interesting position, and there are many others
available (mostly in the UK, somewhere near London usually).

What I'm wondering is, what're the working and living conditions lke. What's
the tax situation like, cost of living, ease of finding housing etc...

Just as an indication of my current cost of living, my wife and I live in a
2 bedroom condo for which we pay appx 3k a month when you include utilities,
and other 1k a month in car payments, 2k in assorted other bills (insurance,
magazine subscriptions, services etc...) and 2k in general living expenses
(food, clothing, entertainment, gas, tolls, etc.. etc...)

Of course if you hacen't already guessed we live in the San Francisco Bay
Area ;-)

The traffic here is murder, the working environments are pretty brutal (100+
hour weeks are not uncommon) loyalty is nil, local politics are pretty awful
etc...

On the plus side it's one of the worlds best climates 9 months a year, and
there's plenty to do here. Plus you do tend to make a lot more money than
most other places, which s nice.

I have been to Ireland and the UK several times before, and I knwo a little
of what to expect, but what I'm really looking for is a real feel for what
it's like to live and work there.

Thanks

Chris Byrne