[SunRescue] Re: First Computers (was Re: Yay, I don't feel...)

Harry J.Regan rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 12 06:19:59 CST 2001

The first computer I used professionally was an IBM 1401 with a mind
bending 4K of memory.  It was punch card or tape based (7 track!)
and could heat a small auditorium.  Now before anyone assumes that
I'm an ancient SOB, I'm "only" 50, let me point out that the machine
was obsolete when I used it.  My employer at the time was just plain
cheap.

The first microcomputer I owned was a Netronics Explorer 85 that I
built from a kit.  It had an Intel 8085 CPU and a full ASCII keyboard
(built from a separate kit).  Originally it had 128 bytes (not K, bytes)
of RAM, so programming the beast was not for the faint hearted-- I'd
write programs longhand in assembly, then manually translate them to
hex and enter them through the keyboard.  A "Hello world..." program
took hours to write and debug.  The Explorer went theough a series of
upgrades and ended up as a S-100 bus, 56K CPM machine with a DSDD 8"
Shugart floppy-- about 800K.  Now that's computing!  The power supply
literally exploded about 1982 which gave be an opportunity to get my
first commercial machine-- a (used) NorthStar Advantage 816.

The "advantage" in the Advantage was that while it was a Z80-based
CPM machine, it also had a daughter card with an 8088 chip that
could run NorthStar's version of MSDOS.  So I had the best of both
worlds.  I could run my old CPM stuff (Ooohh!  WordStar! VisiCalc!
dBaseII...) but I could also run DOS programs as long as they weren't
PCDOS or IBM specific.  The Advantage's screen handling was similar to
the Zenith Z100, so some Z100 ZDOS software would run.  The advantage
retired in favor of my first of a series of PC clones...

At the same time as all this was going on, I was working for Boeing
Computer Services-- a division of the aircraft folks.  Some great
thinker in the Seattle offies observed in 1976 that the 8 bit Apple
and CPM machines of the time just weren't powerful enough for real
business computing.  The next generation of machines that would
revolutionize the computer industry would be 16 bit machines.  They
would run applications with a common look-and-feel.  They would be
able to readily exchange data without the need for importing or
exporting the data between different formats.  The OS that would
enable this all to happen?  Boeing's BITS (based on UCSD Pascal).
But the machine that would enable this new wave?  Why, it's the Terak
8510.  Of course!  Good vision.  Faulty execution.

My first UNIX machine?  An Onyx Z8000-based monster running UNIX
Version 7.  In 1984, I got my first personal UNIX box.  An IBM AT
running XENIX.

Oh, by the way, my first professional microcomputer programming
experience was porting Space Invaders to run on BITS on a Terak!

---- Harry J. Regan
---- Phone: 202.310.2719
---- FAX:   212.202.3923
---- harry.regan at usa.net