[SunRescue] wanted: cheap x86 laptop with sound card

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Mar 11 15:05:17 CST 2001

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 02:22:50PM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
> I would suggest the Portege 650ct that I got from Supersellers, they have
> lots of  laptops, fairly decent for under $300 (incl. Win95, P/133, 1.3 Gig
> HD, 32 Meg RAM, floppy, 800x600 display, etc.)...
> If that is a bit much for your budget, then you are really talking about
> 486-class laptops (to get soemthing decent).
> BTW, there is a nice docking station available for the above (and many
> other) Toshiba laptops, the DeskStation V Plus - typically under $50, has
> three PCI slots (two are shared PCI/ISA slots), SCSI adapter, and space for
> a 5 1/4" CD-ROM.
> I really like mine, I am starting to find myself using is as a "huge" PDA
> ;^)
> Oh, this is a sort-of light-weight laptop - 5 pounds I think.
> The best deal was HiTechCafe.com had P/300 Portege 3020 w/6 gig HD, floppy,
> 10.4" TFT display for $499 - they just upped the price to $650...
> That was/is a *real* nice laptop.
> Ken
> Ken

I've got a 440CDT here that works, 'cept the CD-ROM is shot, so I cant
boot off of it... any suggestions on cheaply finding a replacement?
Its an XM-1502BN.

Weight and such and screen doesent really matter as long as it runs
Windows and does 800x600 and has a sound card with *inputs* - I'm
just using this for a RTTY/PKS31/weatherfax receiver with my shortwave
receiver.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford