[SunRescue] Yay, I don't feel quite so freaking young anymore!

Peter Joules rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 10 08:15:17 CST 2001

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I'm 26, BTW.  Been doing the Solaris/UNIX thing since 1995, before
> that I was a hardcore VMS hax0r.  The first web server I ever set up
> is still up - http://mercur.usao.edu. 8-) (VAX/VMS, even, back when
> people thought "you have to have a Sun box to have a web server.." and
> I was like "uhh, no" and setup one on the campus mini as a summer
> independent study project... goofed off for 4 weeks, did the work in
> one week, and got five hours credit for it...)

You make me feel old ;-).  I will be 44 in a couple of months.  Started
seriously with computers 17 years ago on an ICL Quattro - 8086, 1Mb RAM,
enornous 20Mb hard drive with 4 terminals each supporting 4 virtual
terminals and running C/CPM or CDOS.  I would love to find someone in the
UK with one of those to give away.

I missed the chance to do computer studies at school as they didn't start
delivering it until 1971 at my school and I was a year too old to start
the course.  I can, however, remember going with one of the masters to the
local university with a pile of forms from which the punched cards were
produced.

--
Regards
Pete