[SunRescue] Re: Rescue digest, Vol 1 #1016 - 3 msgs

Michael A. Turner rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 9 09:34:21 CST 2001

	I worked for an ISP doing tech support and this was our mandate
also. Strangest one I ever got was a guy called up using a VOS system , not
DOS , VOS - Virtual Operating System (VOS) ... Never heard of it?
http://www.stratus.com/products/vos/index.htm is the site to take a look at.
Needless to say I was lost, luckly the guy only wanted his local dial up
number and E-mail/DNS Settings. I told him point blank that he had covered
the sum total of what I was going to be able to tell him about his
connection because I did not even know what VOS was let alone know how to
trouble shoot it....
	the point being you have to make these restrictions or your tech
guys will quit over the frustration of supporting every guy who is
attempting a 'stupid tech trick'.....
	BTW. Point of order and to bring this a little back to the
sun-rescue list. I found a IBM model 27 original PS/2 machine (The VERY
first type, 1987, black and white monitor)8086 processor and 512K of ram.
Think I could get a linux distro to run on it? Or perform a stupid tech
trickby gutting it and installing an AMD450 + MB I have laying around.Then I
could Not tell anyone and spend my time wanderring around telling people how
they are being fooled by the chip manufactures and that an 8086 is just
about as powerfull as a pentium III 500. then prove it by playing Quake III
on an 8086..... Gotta figure out how to get a color tube in their cause
Quake III in monochrome may suck a bit....

	Michael A. Turner