[SunRescue] Usenet: SUN 330 Free to good home (Trenton Computerfest)

Alan Robinson rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 8 15:35:22 CST 2001

The Trenton Computerfest fleamarket is indeed one of the best places in the Mid-Atlantic states for finding used Sun equipment. There are usually several vendors with Suns for sale and at least one or two who arrives with palletloads of stuff. You have to be careful though. I looked inside some of those IPXes. Many were missing memory and hard drives. I almost bought a monitor for $40 but decided not to. If it didn't work (a lot of them were rather rough looking with broken bases), it would just be another bulky piece of junk cluttering up my apartment.

However there are usually some real bargins. If you are looking for components, the fleamarket is outstanding. Get there early though. I arrived about 1/2 hour after it opened and waited 45 min in line to get in. At least there wasn't a traffic jam outside the parking lots. The previous year I arrived later in the day and had to wait over an hour just to park.

Inside the convention center is mostly PC vendors and the crowds make it difficult to look at anything. I usually don't bother with the indoor stuff anymore. For the most part, these are the same vendors who come to the "convention center" shows that are held weekly somewhere in the region.

Another excellent fleamarket is at the Greater Baltimore Hamfest and Computerfest ( http://gbhc.org/ ) March 31-Apr 1. Some of the same vendors at Trenton are at this show in Timonium MD (including the guys with the palletloads of Sun stuff). The fleamarket here is often even bigger than the Trenton computerfest.

There are other hamfests in the region that are great sources of Sun equipment. The BRATS hamfest, also in Timonium (July 29), and the Bowie MD hamfest in (sometime in Sept), are ones that I like to go to. The American Radio Relay League ( http://www.arrl.org ) has a list of hamfests nationwide. There is always a fleamarket, and sometime you can really find a bargain (like the pristine LX, with Solaris installed that I got for $5).

Alan Robinson