[SunRescue] editors

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 8 14:47:46 CST 2001

>>Okay, let's put it another way, one that isn't nearly as subtle.
>>
>>Some of you folks may have the free time and the bandwidth to waste.
>>Jolly for you.  Some of us don't.  Some of us very carefully limit the
>>mailing lists we are on, the newsgroups we read, and the other forums we
>>participate in precisely to avoid this kind of crap.

Good for you.  However I would beg to differ on the bandwidth.  I only have
a 56K frame at work with 35 people on it.  I specifically <B>like</B> these
conversations.  The list is more than ready to answer any questions or help
people however it still has an element of fun in it that other lists do not
have.  I enjoy that.  Had it not had that I would have left long ago.  The
element of fun often helps people working tirelessly with these boxes when
all they want to do is beat their heads against the wall in frustration.

>>When I joined this list, the info blurb I received said nothing about
>>editor holy wars, rambling off-topic conversations, or so on.  So if
>>you've just got to go on and on, relate it back to the topic already,
>>please?

The Rescue list is by it's very nature off-topic since the subject covers
"any" Sun product.  And especially since the Packrats list pretty much posts
here as well.  (Although an argument could be made for moving the rescue
list to packrats because of the diversity of the conversation.)  And while
the topic is important, what people have to say overall is more so.

>>It's some basic common courtesy and netiquette.

We're perfectly polite but who says Netiquette rules everything?

No flames meant but if you're that offended by the off-topic discussions
then AFAIC please feel free to subscribe somewhere else.
(Disclaimer: I am not involved in any way in the maintenance of this list
and my views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the list
maintainer or any other sentient being in this or any even remotely related
universe.)

Mike Hebel