[SunRescue] Should an editor require you to think?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 8 14:23:42 CST 2001

Just wanted to post a few comments.  This will be mainly off-topic.

I was just reading the post where Bob was referring to the new generation of computer users as point-and-click oriented.

I started using Linux when I was 12. I'm 16 now.. I went completely Linux when I was 13.. and I went downstairs to the Windows PC to write my papers for school. I couldn't see writing in vi..

I'm 16 now and I have a Silicon Graphics machine. On one hand, I run hugely visual applications such as IFX Piranha.. very point and click. When I have friends over they wonder how the hell am I controlling my computer, what is that blue box with all the writing in it (winterm).. but they are amazed by the visual effects.. I now write my papers in nedit and TEX, and have recently download lyx..it's a sweet program. Any of my work which has scientific equations, etc. in it now looks gorgeous. You can instantly distinguish my work from those of the kids using Word, etc.

I agree that it is a mindset. I hated TeX at first, but I got used to it. There is something strange about having to constantly refer to a manual to just write when you can just sit down at a Windows PC and start typing. However.. There ain't nothing like working in HDTV resolution, all the time, so I made myself learn to do everything on this one system.

I think it's really sad how people think kids are such whizbangs with computers. Most of them know nothing..  maybe their way around Control Panel. When you compare that to just the complexity of the piped commands we enter without thinking twice -- strange!

-- Aaron Finley
arnach560 at netscape.net

(oh, im on this mailing list because I resell Suns. soo im not completely OT)