[SunRescue] Should an editor require you to think?

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 21:27:45 CST 2001

On 3/7/01 at 8:30 PM, Joshua D. Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

>On 7 Mar 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

>I agree that Pico isn't suited towards wordprocessing.  I'd say the same
>about vi, but that would anger people needless.

No, although I'm sure many, many term papers have been done with a plain
text editor and something like troff.

>and Microsoft Publisher (a real DTP program).

Okay, *that* makes me mad :-) (real DTP = QuarkXPress, at least for folks
like me [newspapers]). Of course my cousin just laughs -- she uses Frame.

Actually my *favorite* text editor is the MacOS BBEdit. Multi document grep
search and replace, plugs into perl, extensible, scriptable, understands
FTP, OS-specific line endings. Nice (plain) GUI for attended use, also
handles automated tasks. EMACS for the rest of us, I guess.

But what is really neat is how many tools Unix has to automatically do
random little things that would take actual time for a person to do with
*any* editor. I'm talking about stuff like tbl. If I ever get the time at
work I'm going to try to get our simpler ads done more or less automatically
-- just drop in the text on a web form and wait for an EPS or PDF to pop
into a folder. It just seems like a waste to have all these tools and not
take advantage of them.

ObSun: And Suns having a real postscript processor is a big plus!

--
drouse