[SunRescue] Pico Forever!!!

Ed Pate rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 09:52:20 CST 2001

--------------CD9DA10C25991CE81A34FB15

Speaking of termcap/terminfo entries, given the manual (and the
termcap/terminfo reference, since my memory is not THAT good!), I think I can
manage that.  I've done it for a customer when they bought some IBM terminals
BEFORE they asked if they were supported models...  Silly customers!  ;-)

Speaking of PR1ME, it's been many years since I've seen any of their
equipment, much less used it.  Let's see, at school we had a PR1ME 300 (w/ 2,
yes 2!, 1MB removable platter drives), and that got replaced with a PR1ME 450
(w/2 250MB removable disk pack drives).  Don't remember how much memory they
had in them, but I doubt either even had 1MB.  Both were the last one of
their model that PR1ME ever refurb'ed and each was the only one left in the
State of Florida when we had it.  I don't remember which one, but for one of
them, there were only two of the model memory board that we had in the
state.  One was in our system, the other was in the local service office.
When we had errors, they would come out and swap the boards.  One of those
wonderful situations where the board would sit on the shelf and would work
again when it was put back into the system a few months later.

The console on the 300 was a teletype that liked to dance across the floor,
the 450 was REALLY advanced, it had a serial terminal for its console.  On
both of those models, we had to toggle the front panel switches to boot
them.  Latest Pr1meOS revision we had was 15, we were drooling over the
features in 19, but we couldn't convince the check signers to spring for the
extra upgrade money.  Don't know what ever happened to those systems.  Last
time I saw the 450 was in '83.

Back (sorta) on the topic, I agree with the long winded one about "ed" (ok,
I've heard ALL of the puns...) for emergencies.  I prefer vi for general use.

Ed

Craig Steinberger wrote:

> on 3/6/01 6:19 PM, dave at cca.org at dave at cca.org wrote:
>
> > How many of us keep up our ed reflexes? I've found 4 reasons for still
> > using ed from time to time:
> >

> I'd say that if you are doing a disaster recovery (you can only boot into
> single user mode, if you are lucky), then there's a 50-50 chance your
> terminal setting are not going to work right. In that case, life is very
> unpleasant if you can't use ed or at least ex.
>
> Speaking of lost arts, who can still write a termcap entry given just the
> tech manual for a terminal. The last time I had to do that was for some
> junked Prime terminals.
>
> -Craig
> --
> Craig Steinberger
> cjs at pobox.com

--------------CD9DA10C25991CE81A34FB15

begin:vcard
n:Pate;Ed
tel;fax:904-359-3904
tel;work:904-359-2401
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CSX Technology;MidTier Strategic
adr:;;550 Water St, J976;Jacksonville;FL;32202;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Ed_Pate at CSX.com
title:Engineer - Technical Architecture
fn:Ed Pate