FWD:[SunRescue] SS2 memory

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 09:26:12 CST 2001

On 07 Mar 2001 05:18:31 -0800, rescue-admin at sunhelp.org wrote:
> !!!!!WARNING!!!!!
> This message contained an electronic signature.
> The message was intentionally routed past virus checking systems.
> The message or attachment may contain a virus. USE CAUTION.
> !!!!!WARNING!!!!!
> 2
>

> ------_=_NextPart_000_01C0A709.164C7E70
> From: David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk>
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [SunRescue] SS2 memory
> Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 04:58:06 -0800
>       elp.org?subject=unsubscribe>
>
> My SS2 does an excellent job, but could do with more RAM.  It's already
> got 64Mb, but I see in the faq that it can take a 32Mb card and that
> can take another daughter card, for a total of 128Mb, which would be
> much
> more comfortable.
>
> The FAQ says that the "card blocks SBus slot" - does that mean that it
> blocks a single slot, or that it blocks all of them?  Hopefully the
> former, as I want to keep my framebuffer (which I assume is taking up
> an sbus slot, I wasn't paying attention to that last time I opened it
> up!).

It blocks the sbus slot closest to the powersupply, you should still
have two open, so there should be room for even a double-width gx FB in
there.

> Another wrinkle is that I'm running Linux on this box, so need the
> expansion boards to be supported.  Anyone know whether they are?

Not a problem, it's seen as just extra memory, no special drivers or
anything needed.

> And, of course, anyone got any boards available?  Or know a part number?

501-1823 for the 32MB primary board, and 501-1824 for the secondary
board.  I'm sure that Mike N. has some of these, but I haven't gotten
his list of the 5 things he doesn't have yet.  :)  Later,

    Greg