[SunRescue] RE: Rescue digest, Vol 1 #1015 - 18 msgs

Sheldon T. Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 17:02:32 CST 2001

There's also the Compaq Portable III "lunchbox", which came in a '486
version, has a plasma mono screen, and, with the optional lump on the back,
takes a couple of ISA cards.  I've heard that there is even a WfWg 3.11
driver for that screen.  I dunno if you can cram in enough memory to run
Win95, though.  DOS, OTOH, ought to fly.

I've still got a Portable II ('286, 640k, greyscale CGA, 5" 360k floppy,
upgraded to 80 MB HD), and still use it when I need a luggable DOS machine.
 The thing is over-engineered, but, then, it's still running.

FWIW, those old Compaqs have some neat shock-absorbing HD mounts.

-Shel

On Tuesday, March 06, 2001 1:10 PM, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak
> <bobkeys at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu> wrote ...

> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:12:16 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: [SunRescue] Old holdouts from the pits of hades.....