[SunRescue] Boot prom incantations on SparcStation 4/330?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 14:47:11 CST 2001

> > > Anyone have the correct booting incantations for a SparcStation 4/330
> > > crate?  I want to try booting Solaris 2.4 from the cdrom.  I am
> > > expecting it will be something like  boot sd(0,6,0) or boot sr(0,6,0),
> > > but I am not all that sure from memory, and all my sundocs are in deep,
> > > deep storage, so deep I could not locate them.  I did find the CD, though.
>
> b sd(0,30,1)
>
> 0 = SCSI bus
> 30 = SCSI ID * 8 + LUN
> 1 = partition number (1 is the sun4 root)
>
> -James [former owner of 6 4/330's with P4 cg6's, great boxes]

James...  Are there any drive limitations on the 4/330 as to
drive size or number of drives on the bus chain, in SunOS or
Solaris?  I was thinking Solaris 2.4 fixed the drive size limit,
but don't remember offhand for SunOS 4.1 (1 gig?) or 4.1.3 (1.3 gig?).

Also, can you confirm the scsi cabling from the cpu through the
drive bays and then out to external?

                 top plug ----------terminator or external drives?

    cpu   -----  bottom plug

Any other quirks, offhand, especially about the nvram chip.
I have been having bad karma with failing nvram chips lately.

Thanks

Bob