[SunRescue] Boot prom incantations on SparcStation 4/330?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 14:10:24 CST 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Magnus Abrante wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 11:33:36AM -0500, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> > Anyone have the correct booting incantations for a SparcStation 4/330
> > crate?  I want to try booting Solaris 2.4 from the cdrom.  I am
> > expecting it will be something like  boot sd(0,6,0) or boot sr(0,6,0),
> > but I am not all that sure from memory, and all my sundocs are in deep,
> > deep storage, so deep I could not locate them.  I did find the CD, though.
>
> umm
> sd(0,18,1) or sr(0,18,1) i *think*

b sd(0,30,1)

0 = SCSI bus
30 = SCSI ID * 8 + LUN
1 = partition number (1 is the sun4 root)

As far as the boot ROM is concerned, the CDROM drive is just another SCSI
disk.  This is one reason why sun4's require CDROM drives with 512-byte
sectors to boot.

-James [former owner of 6 4/330's with P4 cg6's, great boxes]