[SunRescue] OT: MD5 or Crypt() hashing for access database

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 13:49:36 CST 2001

All,

I'm involved in a major project as the chrif security engineer, and lets
jsut say I inherited a MAJOR catastrophe, from which I am uncertain if we
can recover without scrapping the project and starting over, but as usual
that isn't in the budget so I have to make do.

A major element of this project is a management database in acess, with
a custom front end. We need to implement discretionary access control on
the database, so they are using accesses built in access control (big mistake
I know) and, heres the kicker, sotring passwords and account permission
in a plaintext field in the database.

I have already suggested we move to a more secure authentication method,
but that was rejected for budgetary reasons, so we are stuck. SO now what
I am looking for is an MD5 or crypt() type routine that can be called by
access to hash the contents of the field.

If this were a UNIX system I wouldn't be having  a problem here, there are
lots of tools available to do this, but I have no idea where to get this
kind of thing for NT, and the normal resources haven't been very helpful.

Any suggestions?

Chris Byrne