[SunRescue] Boot prom incantations on SparcStation 4/330?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 12:29:18 CST 2001

> The machine seems to have a 9 pin mono video plus a 13W3 color
> option installed on a second single width vme back panel.
> I have not had a chance to pull it out and see if it is all on
> the same board, or what ram was in it.  No additional ram boards
> are present in the lower slots.  It has a drive in the tape bay,
> so may have all drive space filled.  Generically, they look a bit
> like the 669 drives.... big old maxtor(?) things.  I am hoping they
> are not 300mb sizes.  The scsi is an hd50 connector which should mate
> up fine to my cdrom and some external DEC storageworks shelves for
> testing.  The keyboard appears to be small-din for type 4/5 things.

I took a fiver break and pulled the board out and had a lookiesee.
The thing has 4M ram sticks in it, so I am assuming that probably
indicates 32M ram on board.

Looking at the back of the case there are 3 hd50 scsi connectors.

If I am reading them correctly, one goes from the cpu to the case
to cpu connector?

One goes from the external connector to external devices or a scsi
terminator goes there (top connector on the back)?

The cpu is a 501-1316 rev 03.  That seems like a reasonable board.

The frame buffer is a 501-1402.  I did not find this in the faq.
Is this a frame buffer from a 3/80 machine?

That is all I see, offhand.  I was unable to get deep enough to see
what HD's were there.  But, for the sake of discussion, if it has
2 or 3 internal drives, full height, how many half heights of say
2/4/8 gig could I drop in if I wanted to give it some server type
play space?

Yeah, its slow and a bit of an ugly duckling, but not near as ugly
as the 3/160 crate I also run.

Thanks

Bob