Overpricing (was: Re: [SunRescue] Looking for disk array, was: needNT-1

Tim Harrison rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 06:55:21 CST 2001

"Peter L. Wargo" wrote:

> To which the fellow on the other end of the phone replied, "I paid $350
> for this modem back in 1984, and I'm going to get my money's worth!"

Very much like a user we had/have at the ISP I worked/work for (long
story).  We installed some firewalls, and disabled an old "legacy"
feature of being able to dial up with, say, HyperTerminal or ProComm,
and log into our shell machine.

So this one customer, the last remaining holdout, calls up in a fury
because he can no longer dial up using his Windows 3.1 machine, a 386
with 4M of RAM, and a 100M hard drive, using whatever comm program he's
using to log into the shell machine.  As the support supervisor passed
this story on to me (asking if we were ever planning on reopening that
nice little way into the network), he said this:

"I don't need any of that Internet "tee see" (one can only imagine he
meant TCP/IP) stuff.  Lynx works fine for me, and Windows 95 sucks.  Why
should I upgrade?"

You kinda have to agree with the guy in some respects.  95 does suck.
However, 3.1 was no beauty itself.  Yet, even I, a collector of old and
silly things, have a PII 333 for my internet surfing. :)

I guess he wanted to get his money's worth out of this broken-down ol'
3.1 machine.

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer