Overpricing (was: Re: [SunRescue] Looking for disk array, was: need NT-1

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 5 20:15:49 CST 2001

Reminds me of a fellow many years (early 90's) ago who called out tech
support line at Enable software.  He was asking for more download time on
the BBS (remember those?) in order to download a utility.  Our BBS sysop
told hime that he had enough time, but for some reason he was downloading
at 300 baud.  To which the guy replied that that was all that he had.
Our guy suggested upgrading to a 2400 baud modem, as they were running
around $50 or less at that point.

To which the fellow on the other end of the phone replied, "I paid $350
for this modem back in 1984, and I'm going to get my money's worth!"

Needless to say, he had run up more than $50 in long distance bills trying
to download the file.... :-)

-Pete

-----
Peter L. Wargo