[SunRescue] How well do Wyse 30 terminals work with Sun kit?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 5 16:39:47 CST 2001

> I've got almost a dozen Wyse 30 terminals that I picked up for $2
> apiece.  After weeding out the non-functional ones and giving a couple
> away, I'm left with way too much space in my storage closet taken up by
> these things.
>
> At various times, I've seriously considered dropping serial cables
> around the house and having dumb terminals set up.  How well do these
> function with Solaris?  Does their terminal emulation work well with
> programs such as mutt, slrn, and lynx (not to mention the staples such
> as vi) on Solaris?  Am I better off just getting rid of them?

I use Wyse terminals on my MicroVAXen.  They work fine in vt100 mode.
Everything in their right mind should default to vt100ish mode, mostly,
for compatiblity.  The amber screen terminals are quite easy on the
eyes.  The keyboards are a little on the soft touchy side, and break
easily if dropped.  They are pretty good rugged terminals that should
last a long time.

Bob