[SunRescue] Piles and piles of Sun stuff to dispose of (hopefully!)

J. S. Connell rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 1 20:06:01 CST 2001

The company I work for is in the process of cleaning out their labs and
storage closets and store rooms and whatnot and are throwing out piles of
older Sun stuff -- mostly keyboards, mice, older/broken monitors, cables --
at a tremendous rate.

Downstairs there are currently two large bins full of keyboards, mice,
mouse pads (both Sun-emblazoned cloth pads and metal optical pads -- sorry,
type unknown yet), manuals, and every sort of cable known to modern (and
not-so-modern) science.  I'm going to go downstairs once I finish up my
work for today and try to itemize everything that's there.

At this point, I've managed to secure "theoretical" permission to haul it
all away, given that it's going into the garbage otherwise, but I'm still
trying to get clearance from the security dept. to remove it from the
premises, and trying to figure out what I am and am not allowed to do with
it, disposal-wise.

I guess this is just a post to find out how many people out there are
interested in cabling, keyboards, and mice (more specifics forthcoming!).

I'm also told that there's a big stack of IPXes that are going to be
pitched out soon.  I'll provide more details on the number, kind, and
status just as soon as I know anything.

So please email me if you have a use for the stuff.  Unfortunately I don't
know yet whether I'm going to be required to give them away, or sell them
on behalf of my employer, or given free rein to do whatever I want, so
please don't ask, I'll post as soon as I can find out.  I'm sorry I can't
be any more specific at this time -- the dumpsters just materialized not
two hours ago.

Oh, it might help if I point out that despite the email address that points
to New Zealand, I'm actually located in Fremont, CA.

And finally, the head of the IS department has run across two Sun part
numbers in her part list that she can't identify, and would like to ask for
your help:

370-2162 ASSY, 150MHZ, HYPERSPARC MODULE
501-2996 ASSY, PCB, 0MB, CPU, TAZMO

Any light you can shed on what they are and/or what they're for would be
very much appreciated - in particular, what a Ross CPU module is doing on a
from-Sun part list, and what machine it might be used in.  The "tazmo"
part is a complete mystery to us.

Thanks very much in advance,

--
Jeffrey Sean Connell __ | Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur
ankh at canuck.gen.nz   \/ | PGP key: http://www.canuck.gen.nz/~ankh/pgpkey.html