[SunRescue] Sun 411 box setup

Paul Nguyen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 1 19:24:39 CST 2001

Hi everyone:  Thank you in advance for your possible help.  I am having a
bit of trouble to get 2 sun 411 boxes to work with my U10.  Here is the
setup config.  Does anyone know where I can get the installation info and
specs for these Sun 411 box.  I searched Sun site for the last 2 days but
not successful.

1. I am currently setting up 2 HD with 80 hot plug, one in each box.
2. I use an adapter of 80 pin to 50 pin for each of the drive
3. Inside each 411 box, I notice that power output is 5V @ 1.2 amp and the
drive indicates 5V @ 550 mA.  Will this kill my drive?
4. Also, in the back of each 411 box, it has drive ID selector with its tail
having a terminator of 6 female.  I connected this to the adapter scsi male
pin for scsi ID 0-3.  Accordingly, I set the id selector in the back of 411
box to ID 1 and 2 for each.
5. I daisy chain the two 411 box using 50 to 50 pin scsi cable
6. In turn I connect the 50 pin from 411 box to the 68 pin external of scsi
pci card.

When I boot the machine (ultra 10 in the case), it recognizes the 2 internal
drives (one Ide and one scsi) and identified the first pci.  In addition, it
also recognized the second pci card, which connected to the 411 box.
However, it does not recognize the HD in the 2 sun 411 box.

Did I screw up somewhere in the above setup?.  I also appreciate if anyone
can point me to any documentation source for these 411 boxes.

Thanks
Paul