[rescue] Re:EMACS

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 11:33:35 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 04:05:10PM +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> >
> > I think that if most people actually focussed on what they wanted to do
> > then they wouldn't like office as well, although they might like emacs
> > just fine.  Office trys to distract you with unneed features while not
> > allowing to just get work done.
>
> Office has a Paperclip;   Emacs has Eliezer;   Nuff sed.

Main feature of emacs that I actually USE vs. vi:  ability to cut and paste
between buffers/ files.

Do this in vi:  open 10 different files, cut text from one of them, then
switch to another file and paste the text there.  Ugh - a real finger
twister, IIRC.

Ob Sun:  once the company I worked for paid big bucks to Digex for a SS1+ or
SS2 (probably one of Dave's) that hosted the web site and email.  They
didn't have anything other than vi installed and I had to cut and paste and
change a bunch of HTML pages.  Blecch.

Vi is useful in many cases; not always though.

./patrick