[rescue] Free goodies (northern CA)

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 22:29:44 CDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, James Fogg wrote:

> Before someone makes the mistake of getting a Huskie thinking they don't bark I
> would like to point out something.....
>
> They do bark, and wolf-howl, and "talk" (and talk, and talk, and talk). They
> just don't waste time barking at stupid things, like motorcycles. Huskies are a
> LOT of work. Way too smart, easilly bored (so they chew stuff) and rather
> primitive (may even challenge your "master" alpha status, like mine). Think

Ours (a black but slightly mixed) figured out her position in the family
hierarchy very rapidly.  Below me, below my wife, below my 3 year old and
1 year old daughters (I think she recognizes the mother protection
pattern) but above our 5 year old son.  This isn't the best of situations
but will have to do until he learns how to behave and handle her
consistently.

And boy does she talk.  Mostly after dropping decapitated gopher heads at
my feet (I'm flattered, but still...).  I'm not sure I've ever heard a
true "bark" out of her, but she can definitely yelp.

They definitely need space.  We're on an acre and sometimes I think she
does laps just to keep in shape.  It's a good thing she trained easily,
we'd never be able to catch her on foot.

-James