[rescue] Time to give up?

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 10:37:54 CDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, John Eo wrote:

> machine and then booting, with no success.  It appears that the
> reason he has not been able to bring up OpenBoot is, well, because
> it might lack OpenBoot in the firmware.  He told me that when he
> turns it on with HDD removed, he gets something like "Initializing
> FBV 2.1..." and then it gets stuck there.  I've never seen

> selling its organs in the Black Market?  I don't suppose the
> firmware can be reprogrammed without a decent mad-scientist lab (I
> don't got one)?  This is a major disappointment because I've
> already commited my lunch money for this month to memory, HDD, and

My guess would be that dropping a PROM from a working SS5, or programming
a new prom, would get it going. If you can pick up a dead SS5 mainboard to
steal the prom from then it's worth a shot. There are probably people on
this list who can program proms ..

I theory I can write an SS5 prom, but I'd have to buy or build an adaptor
to take the type of chip that the SS5 uses and, I'm in the UK.

dave.