[rescue] Time to give up?

John Eo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 09:56:43 CDT 2001

Okay, first of all, thanks for all the suggestions on fixing up my
SS5 in Kodak Digital Processor disguise.

Unfortunately, my coworker has tried unplugging EVERYTHING in his
machine and then booting, with no success.  It appears that the
reason he has not been able to bring up OpenBoot is, well, because
it might lack OpenBoot in the firmware.  He told me that when he
turns it on with HDD removed, he gets something like "Initializing
FBV 2.1..." and then it gets stuck there.  I've never seen
OpenBoot prompt (I did say I was new at this), but I'm guessing
that ain't it.

So, if my machine has indeed been brainwashed by our friends at
Kodak, do I have any option left other than chucking the board and
selling its organs in the Black Market?  I don't suppose the
firmware can be reprogrammed without a decent mad-scientist lab (I
don't got one)?  This is a major disappointment because I've
already commited my lunch money for this month to memory, HDD, and
input devices.

I suppose I could buy a SS5 motherboard, but if I hadn't spent the
money already maybe I could've waited and saved up for an Ultra 1.

So is it time to give up?

John

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net