[rescue] FS: RSM2000 Array

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 12:15:36 CDT 2001

Hi everyone!

In an effort to streamline things (I'm thinking of moving since
the local Homeowners Association is ticking me off most severley)
I'm looking at selling my (near infamous) disk array.

Here are the specs:
o RSM2000 hardware-based RAID array in 56" Sun cabinet
o Dual power supplies (can run off of single 220/240AC feed)
o Dual UW/differential SCSI interfaces (can run off of single controller)
o 5 trays of seven 4.3GB disks (35 X 4GB disks) ~120GB usable.
o Supports multiple LUNs
o Supports multiple-host access
o Capable of hardware-based RIAD0+1, 1+0, and 5
o Supports "LUN balancing" -- a way to maximize throughput over
  dual connections to the same host
o Managed through (freely-downloadable) Sun RaidManager 6.22 software
o Updated to latest and greatest firmware patches
o Controller is a Symbios Logic controller, so any software which can
  manipulate that controller can manage this hardware

What I can guarantee:
o It won't be DOA. This means at least one of the dual sets of power
  supplies will work and the unit will be operational. I know both PDUs
  on the array work and the dual supplies on the RSM trays should be fine.
  Dual-power on the controller works, as well.
  [ I took the one power cord I do have, hooked it up to the 2nd PDU and
    threw the breaker as a test. ]
o Disks are still covered under warantee (but I don't know for how long!)
o It's a lot of fun :)

What I *think* is true:
o Still eligable for Sun Maintance
o Disks can be upgraded all the way to 72GB SCA disks. Here's why:
  An RSM2000 uses older-style RSM trays for its JBODs
  An A3500 uses newer-style D1000s for its JBODs
  An A3500 uses an embedded Pentium on its controller boards
  An RSM2000 uses an embedded 486 on its controller boards
  Both sets of hardware use the same firmware
  Both sets of hardware use differential SCSI out to the JBODs and
   to the host
  The A3500 is currently certified for 72GB disks in its JBODs
  ... the logical extension is that since they're essentially the same
   with the exception of physical JBODs and the amount of horsepower
   on the embedded controller

Caveats:
o RM6.22 takes a little getting used to. The GUI is more friendly
and almost necessary compared to the CLI
o Patch the %&@^# out of the box that you're using as the host
o The battery backup for the volitile cache may be dead.

Also on the block:
I currently have a U1/170E which I've been using to control this
beastie. It's running Solaris 7, RM6.22, Samba and has NFS configured
for the array. It only has one sbus UW/diff controller and seems to
do just fine. It auto-senses the 240VAC power fine and runs off the
internal cabinet. It rests nicely on-top of the RSM2000, too.

For those who want something cool to control from their Ultra 30
I have a Sun-branded PCI UW/Diff controller with TWO channels (so
you can use both channels on the array!) These go for a pretty penny
(street of $500-$700ish, IIRC.) Oh, and cables are included!

Make an offer. Make sure to state if your offer is just for the
array, array+controller, array+Ultra1, or some combination.

Theoretically I could part-out the array and sell individual RSM trays.

-Jon