[rescue] newsgroups on an SS/5...

Rebecca Ore rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 08:39:28 CDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, james at foonly.com wrote:

> I'm following up to messages as I go, I've been in the throes of moving
> for most of the past week.  Apologies if this discussion is already dead.
>
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > Heh.  I ran a "local" groups collection plus a limited feed (selected
> > groups, no binaries) on a SS2 w/64meg and Solaris 2.5.1... it ran *fine*.
> > For local-groups-only, even a SS1 would work.
>
> For situations where it is a good fit, I highly recommend NNTPcache
> (www.nntpcache.org).  It makes fairly clever use of mmap() to lower the
> amount of copied data and has relatively low resource requirements: I was
> handling an entire engineering/CS college division (1000+ undergrads) with
> a 4/330 running Solaris 2.4.  The bandwidth savings by running "on demand"
> can be dramatic.  It's a great "home gateway" solution as well.

I'm more interested in learning things that can scale -- and the SS5
in question is on a 10 MG/sec shared ethernet in colo (with about 15
machines, including one other news server).   I'm negotiating getting
permission from my employer to do trials of commerical text only
wholesaling and direct accounts.

Will probably install Solarius and INN.  A friend recommends Diablo
and INN, Diablo for transit and INN for readerboxes.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net