[rescue] newsgroups on an SS/5...

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 07:56:16 CDT 2001

I'm following up to messages as I go, I've been in the throes of moving
for most of the past week.  Apologies if this discussion is already dead.

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Heh.  I ran a "local" groups collection plus a limited feed (selected
> groups, no binaries) on a SS2 w/64meg and Solaris 2.5.1... it ran *fine*.
> For local-groups-only, even a SS1 would work.

For situations where it is a good fit, I highly recommend NNTPcache
(www.nntpcache.org).  It makes fairly clever use of mmap() to lower the
amount of copied data and has relatively low resource requirements: I was
handling an entire engineering/CS college division (1000+ undergrads) with
a 4/330 running Solaris 2.4.  The bandwidth savings by running "on demand"
can be dramatic.  It's a great "home gateway" solution as well.

-James