[rescue] U30 Framebuffer and other questions

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 29 12:59:08 CDT 2001

I use a Creator 2D - several folks here advised me that that was the
sweet-spot in framebuffers for general use. Mine were gotten for < $100,
YMMV.

There are Creator (2D/3D) adn PGX - peope seem to prefer the Creator cards.

The Sun PCi card runs anywhere from $100 - $500++, depending on the card you
get, there are severla options.

The cheapest one can take 256 Meg RAM (2x SDRAM DIMMs), and an AMD K6/400
CPU, and with current software (downloadable from Sun) Win9X, NT and 2K is
possible.

I got both my cards from Mike N. at www.twmaster.com, but I can't speak to
price/availability.

The Sun PCi card has a built-in video card, and it can display either in a
window on your Ultra 30 display *or* directly connected to a typical PC
monitor (it has a HD15 SVGA port built-in). I understand that a dedicated
monitor yields better performance. The ideal monitor may be the larger Sun
monitors, as they have dual inputs (13W3 and SVGA), selectable from the
front of the monitor (like a cheap KVM)...

HTH,

Ken