[rescue] Strange SBUS card

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 20:24:48 CDT 2001

OK, here's my guess - and it is a real guess because I could hardly make out
anything on the board...

First off, that Intel chip is a real odd bird - assuming this card is
*about* as old as the SS/10 it was inside, it would most likely be either a
network controller or a CPU of some sort. My money is on CPU - I would think
a network chipwould be closer to the connector.

Second, that DB-25 connecter is strange - I didn't notice a lot of "buffer"
or "protection" circuitry around the connector, so whoever designed the card
*knew* exactly what was going to be on the other end of the cable.

Finally, that little connector next to the DB-25 *looks* like a power
connector, from a CD-player or radio, and I suspect this card required more
juice than the SBUS standard allowed for - so they had two choices, go
double-wide and occupy two slots, or they could simply have an off-board
"wall wart" to supply supplemental power to the board.

My opinion, this is a custom interface card that connects to a custom piece
of equipment, and it is *almost* useless to you unless, of course, you learn
something aboutthe card by translating the french text it provides as an id
string...

HTH,

Ken