[rescue] Uni (Was: Beginner VAX)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 17:07:48 CDT 2001

My first (and only) semester at Stevens Institute of Technology was 21
credits - and they had this brilliant idea that since they wanted everyone
to study 3 semesters of chemistry, but they didn't have any spare time
slots, they would just make the first semester class a 6 credit class,
second semester it was 5. Oh, and we studied computer programming and
drafting in the same time slot - you alternated... One week you had FORTRAN,
the next you had drafting (w/pencils, this was 1983), then the next week you
had FORTRAN again, etc.

That hada program called the five-year program - you paid four years tuition
the first four years, the fifth year was room and board only, and your
coursework was spread out a bit.

You had 161 credits *required* to graduate, *no* electives till junior year,
and they had to relate to your major.

I don't miss that school very much...

about 75% of entering freshmen leave before graduation, and the graduating
class is half the size of the freshman class (half of them are transfer
students)...

ken