[rescue] Beginner VAX

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 13:20:20 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 01:26:39PM -0400, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> slow.  The Qbus ones require a real diehard to master.  The big honkin'
> iron is in another galaxy, far, far away.

mmmmmmm, big konkin' iron.

> Find a VT320 or 420 terminal, some mmj cable, a DEC RRD42 cdrom and
> cable, and away, you go!

just as a datapoint, i've got a Plextor UltraPLEX (32x) hooked up to my 4000
on a KFQSA, so this should definitely work on a 3100.  if you ever are in need
of a CD-ROM drive, get one of these things, i have yet to find something that
it doesn't work on (haven't hooked it up to the DGI box yet though) and it's
a LOT less painful to install an OS from since it's a tad faster than sn RRD42.

> At the journeyman level, a Qbus VAX is always worth the effort.

mmmmm, QBus.  i love QBus.

> Then, at the master level, you get these wierdo geeks that can't
> pass up a VAX 6000, to sit next to the dryer for the weefie to
> ponder what has happened to her dryer power.  They also have

i'm still torqued about that pair of 6000-410 boxes i missed.  and i'm going to
mention them every time you guys bring up 6000 boxes. :)

> at least one 11/780 in the garage, and enough parts to build
> a dozen more, in storage, and they can recite the mantra of

ok, don't have a /780, but i do have a /750 and used to own a /730. :)

> VAX-assembler, from a to z.

not quite there yet.  give me time. :)

> Bob... mostly a journeyman, still, methinks.....(:+{{...

-brian (on the path from journeyman to master)