[rescue] Beginner VAX

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 12:26:39 CDT 2001

> Ok, assuming someone with almost no prior VAX experiance  - well, my
> first internet account (1988) wass on VMS as a (l)user - what would be
> the best/easiest vax for me to get up and running? I have no preference
> for VMS/Unix other than I've played with Unix much more... ;'P
>
> I do have a wee bit of experiance with 68k Suns (3/80's esp, but a few
> others as well)

I am not the guru in VAXen, for sure, but my findings for myself, over
the past 5 or so years would suggest a VAXstation 3100/M38 would be
a good, relatively inexpensive, easy to add-stuff-to VAXentoy.
They were made in the bazillions, and can be found all over the place.
The higherup ones can be problematic.  The lesser ones can be rather
slow.  The Qbus ones require a real diehard to master.  The big honkin'
iron is in another galaxy, far, far away.

Find a VT320 or 420 terminal, some mmj cable, a DEC RRD42 cdrom and
cable, and away, you go!

That would be my generic take on a beginner VAX.

At the journeyman level, a Qbus VAX is always worth the effort.

Then, at the master level, you get these wierdo geeks that can't
pass up a VAX 6000, to sit next to the dryer for the weefie to
ponder what has happened to her dryer power.  They also have
at least one 11/780 in the garage, and enough parts to build
a dozen more, in storage, and they can recite the mantra of
VAX-assembler, from a to z.

(:+}}...

Bob... mostly a journeyman, still, methinks.....(:+{{...