[rescue] OT: Solaris for Intel

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 08:28:45 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 05:52:03AM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> OS-9 was the first multitasking OS that I had experience
> with using.  Yep, a RS Color Computer 2 then 3.  The
> only problem I even found was a boot list order bug
> whcih was a problem when certain items in the boot list
> fell on certain addresses (I forget whether it was odd
> or even) but was easy to fix.  Never crashed unless I
> tried to make a new boot disk and loused things up.  All
> this at a time when Billy stated you can't multitask
> under 16 megs.  Yeah, right.

Those RS CoCo owners seem to be rather fanatical.  I came across a page
describing how to hack in several megs of ram (like 2 or 4), and PPP
implelentations.

What really takes the cake though is C64 owners.  Multitasking OS and a
SCSI HD, all on an 8 bit toy.
http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/cbm/documents/projects/memory/c64/256kB/256kB.html
To quote from http://singularcrew.hu/main.htm:

Today's high-tech is supported even by C64:
DD/HD 3.5" drive (1581, FD2000)
SCSI interface (Any CMD harddisk has it on-board)
16bit processor (SCPU-20MHz)
Memory expansions up to 16Mb (Ramlink, 1750, 1750XL, +60K, +192K)
IDE controler (IDE64 for any IDE HDD up to 2x8Gb, Atapi CD-Rom)
Stereo sound (second SID)

--
Joshua D. Boyd