[rescue] Beginner VAX

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 23:21:55 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 12:08:51AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Ok, I'm back.  Take a peek at http://www.neurotica.com/vax/vax4000.
> Fresh from the CompactFlash card, taken in my machine room five
> minutes ago.  Muahahhaaaa! ;)

Oh man. Memory rush.

4000-700A.  Same machine as mercur.usao.edu, the first box
I ever "touched" the Internet with.. except USAO's machine was in
the free-standing (rolling?) cabinet.  i want to pick up one someday,
just to put 5.5-2 on it and recreate that environment that I spent
2.5 years on.  I was *GOOD* with VMS, but have forgotten 99% of it
in the years since then while using Solaris.  I even created USAO's
first web server as a Summer 1995 Independent Study project, and got
five hours credit for it.  I also setup the first instances of
PINE (yes, on VMS), LYNX, VMS NEWS (kinda like TIN), and IRC (yes, ircii
on VMS!  dough's client!) that people on campus had ever used.  Before
I showed up to add all these wonderful things (I was the first freshman
ever hired to be a lab assistant / IT geek), they'd only been using the
FULL T1 LINE for *email*.  This was 1993-95.

The old beast is still up, although the admin refuses to answer my
emails asking when they're going to decomission it so I can go down
and buy it. 8-)

bash-2.03$ telnet mercur.usao.edu
Trying 192.146.206.5...
Connected to mercur.usao.edu.