[rescue] WTB: Good 'antique' computer for education

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 16:28:28 CDT 2001

On July 26, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> > My fiance is looking for an OLD computer to teach herself some
> > computer architecture.  I'm thinking something with a card cage.  My
> > personal favorite are the VME based sun machines but I'm open to
> > ideas.  I need something where she can get replacement parts cheaply
> > and (relatively) easily.  Would a VAX be good for this?  What about
> > an -11?  How small can I make an -11 or a VAX?  Does anybody have
> > anything they would be willing to let go or a place to get this kind
> > of stuff?  (I wouldn't mind getting a VME sun... Especially not an
> > 4/xxx deskside one)
> > daniel
>
> I have some minor thoughts on the subject....
>
> A PDP-11 is fun, but finding working bits for them can be a problem.
> I would hesitate to recommend one for a person just wanting to play
> on an old machine, unless you also were ready to become a hardware
> techie on it, too.

  I'm not sure I fully agree with you here, Bob.  A more recent machine
like a pdp11/53 or 11/73 is near-bulletproof.  I've seen them survive
extremely harsh environments.  I think one would survive quite well in
the home.  And if it does experience trouble, there are resources to
be drawn on for support...US! :-)

  Now, something like an 11/20 or an 11/35 would be a different
story..

          -Dave McGuire