[rescue] OT: Solaris for Intel

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 20:26:03 CDT 2001

Solaris on x86 is *very* picky about what devices are supported - when I wnated to
run it, I bought a PC set up just for it - used very plain pieces (SCSI HD, rather
plain PCI video card, P/133 w/512K cache) and it worked fine. I think the problem
is most major vendors have an annoying habit of revising hardware for a given
system over the life of a system, so the video cards change slightly, the the
serial ports change, etc.

My system had a #9 video card, Adaptec SCSI, and was an Intel motherboard - very
straight-forward from www.eis.com.

Laptops can be very tricky, but with the package from www.zig.com I think many
laptops can run SOlaris x86 quite well...

HTH,

Ken