[rescue] Re: scsi drives

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 17:38:56 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 03:33:06PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:

> years for the SCSI LVD ones I've bought for work), I sent the serial
> number to IBM's hard drive support people. They wrote back and told me it
> was an OEM drive sold to Tandem for integration, and that IBM did not
> warrant it for retail sale. I took the drive back.

IBM doesn't warrant OEM disks, they leave that up to the OEM channel.  seagate
does the same thing, you get your seagate disk from sun, you call sun when it
breaks.  so i'm sure this is true with ALL disk manufacturers.

i'm going to guess that 95% of the used disks you are gonna find are from large
OEM batches, so this may be a common occurance with buying from surplus places
like these.

just something to keep in mind.

-brian