[rescue] flamewar question: Perl

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 11:11:13 CDT 2001

> I used IBM 370 assembler to code a *trivial* accounting package for a 8 week
> course at a technical school (Computer Learning Center - circa 1985-1986.
> We used
> *coding forms* and got three runs a day - once before lunch, once before
> the end of class, and once overnight... That was an austere environment
> to work in... For those that
> don't know, a coding form is a sheet of graph paper held sideways, and
> you write your code inside the little boxes, then you submit your forms to an
> operator/key punch person that takes your "hand written" code and puts it into
> card-image files for later execution...

Hey, I still have 9 coding form tablets up on the shelf.  They come in handy
for setting up raw data.  Man, you had it easy... handing in your coding form
set to a keypunch operator.  Geesh, we had to hand punch ours, ourselves, when
the punches came open, after-hours.  I got so frustrated over it, I went out
and bought a 5 buck junk card punch, fixed it, and stuck in my grad office
where it was available full time.

When I left, I had no room for the punch in the truck...(:+{{...
so someone must have made a planter or something out of it.

Fortran and JCL.... Them were the days......

Bob